"Wherever the Gospel is proclaimed to the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her." (Mark 14:9)
Even though Jesus praised the woman who anointed him in preparation for his passion, her story is rarely told since it is optional or deleted from the passion accounts read from our Lectionary.
Order our newly expanded Women and the Word: Holy Week, Easter and Pentecost resource and help your faith community put women like the anointing women, St. Mary of Magdala and the women from Galilee who stayed with Jesus from crucifixion to resurrection "back in the biblical picture" during this most sacred season of our liturgical calendar.
Catholics are often surprised to discover that many biblical women are omitted from the Lectionary we use for Sunday and weekday Masses even though women were with Jesus all along--through his birth, public ministry, passion, death and as the primary witnesses to his Resurrection.
Likewise, we rarely hear of women evangelists such as Prisca, Lydia and Phoebe even though Paul named them his coworkers in the Gospel. Few remember that Jesus’ female disciples and his mother Mary were present at Pentecost and received the Spirit’s fiery confirmation on that great birthday of the Church.
Order the Women and the Word: Holy Week, Easter and Pentecost packet
If you have already purchased the Holy Week/Easter packet...
Download the free 2014 Holy Week/Easter Supplement
Put Women Back in the Biblical Picture: During Holy Week
- The Women at the Foot of the Cross prayer resource
- The Women at the Foot of the Cross PowerPoint CD
- With Him all Along: The Women on the Journey Good Friday Service
Put Women Back in the Biblical Picture: During the Easter Season
Women Leaders in the Ministry of Paul
- The Women in Paul’s Ministry Dr. Carolyn Osiek, RSCJ
- Prisca essay and prayer service Christine Schenk, CSJ
- Phoebe essay and prayer service Claire Noonan
Put Women Back in the Biblical Picture at Pentecost
- “Women of Spirit” Pentecost Evening Prayer Service Joanne Brausch
- Women in the Bible and Lectionary with Practical Suggestions for Liturgists and Presiders Ruth Fox OSB
- Magdalene at the Tomb poem card Lisa M. Galek
- Jesus and Women Christine Schenk CSJ
- Mary of Magdala Christine Schenk CSJ
This resource is one outcome of our work to “Put Women Back in the Biblical Picture” leading up to the October 2008 World Synod of Bishops with the theme "The Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church." FutureChurch provided concrete suggestions to synod leaders for ways to listen to women's voices, particularly in preaching and proclaiming the Word and restoring biblical women deleted from lectionary texts.
As a result, for the first time in history, Catholic bishops meeting in synod “recognized and encouraged” the ministry of women of the Word, discussed the need to restore women’s stories to the lectionary, and invited the greatest number of women ever to participate as auditors and biblical experts.
To make sure the promise of the synod is realized, our work continues.